What is Activity Sampling?
Activity Sampling is the observation-based study of the use of a workspace. Unlike a Time or Space Utilisation study, where the study is object-based, Activity Sampling allows us to capture activity wherever it happens, including between work and meeting spaces, building up a picture of activity in all locations as it happens.
Not only does Activity Sampling capture activity, is also identifies the type, frequency and formality of the interaction taking place. This advanced management information allows the client to closely model their workspace or design brief to meet the functional and social needs of their businesses providing a truly fit-for-purpose environment.
Activity Sampling is a new technique devised by Baker Stuart and CADM and is only available to Baker Stuart Limited clients. Commonly run in conjunction with a traditional Space Utilisation and Activity Study, teams of specially trained observers map activity in a functioning workplace in half-hourly circuits, usually for two 3-day periods.
Who Commissions Activity Sampling Surveys?
Architects, interior designers and Design and Build professionals are using the richness of activity sampling to better inform their designs. We are also working directly with innovative employers who find this data useful for their own internal workplace development.
Benefits of Activity Sampling
- Provides a comprehensive outlook on the use of the space and how people interact with the workspace and with each other
- Richer and more complete data than a traditional Space or Time Utilisation Study which it enhances
- Identifies people important to the business function by virtue of their contribution to social cohesion in the workplace
- Enables clients to truly understand how people interact with their workspace
- Can identify issues with existing workspaces and inform the design of better spaces, as well as evaluate new workplaces after changes are made.
Activity Sampling is a new, innovative technique that is evolving as considerable additional benefits are being identified.
Complete the following and we’ll send you information on your ActivityLOOK: Activity Sampling Survey:
Read more about Activity Sampling on our blog.