Baker Stuart Limited (“The Company”, “we”) is committed to protecting the environment and promoting sustainability through action and leading by example. We accept that our activities generate waste material and so aim to follow and demonstrate best practices across all of our operations. Our policy is to ensure, so far as it is reasonably practicable, that all operations are carried out with a commitment to reducing waste and promoting sustainability, thereby protecting, and reducing the impact on, the environment.
Baker Stuart Limited seeks to comply with all relevant environmental legislation and regulation. It also aims to establish higher standards of environmental performance including waste management, where these are practicable and appropriate.
All Company employees are required to carry out their duties with concern for the environment. It is a condition of employment that all staff comply with this Environmental and Sustainability Policy Statement.
In the event of an environmental accident or incident at work, it is a Company requirement that the details are promptly and properly reported to the Founder/CEO who will investigate and take prompt action to make good any damage and avoid recurrence.
All contractors working on behalf of the Company are required to adopt environmental standards fully consistent with those of the Company and they are expected to achieve comparable levels of performance as a condition of their contract.
• Reduce the generation of general and hazardous wastes by ensuring all jobs are accurately scoped and priced to ensure material usage and travel is minimised.
• Recycle as much paper, cardboard, plastic, and metal waste generated in the office as possible.
• Reduce paper usage by increasing the use of e-mail and electronic documentation.
• Reduce energy consumption by monitoring energy usage and training staff on basic housekeeping.
• Reduce vehicle emissions to air by the scheduling of work to reduce mileage and promoting the use of public transport to our staff and colleagues.
• Promote best practice with any supplier we are managing or procuring on behalf of a client.
In accordance with its stated policy, Baker Stuart has produced the following list of principles and objectives as a sound framework for the introduction of practices to implement the Company’s Environmental and Sustainability Policy:
• To comply with, and exceed where practicable, all applicable legislation, regulations, and codes of practice, including our moral and contractual obligations, including (but not limited to):
– Compliance with The Site Waste Management Plans Regulations 2008 (where appropriate) and Local Government Regulations.
• To integrate environmental and sustainability considerations into all our business decisions, including those decisions which impact office and transportation activities. Including, but not limited to, we will avoid physically travelling to meetings etc., where alternatives are available and practical, such as using teleconferencing, video conferencing or web cams, and efficient timing of meetings to avoid multiple trips. Where such trips are necessary, we will limit production of carbon wherever possible, including utilising public transport.
– Minimise our use of paper and other office consumables, for example by double-siding all paper used, and identifying opportunities to reduce waste.
– As far as possible, arrange for the reuse or recycling of office waste, including paper, computer supplies and redundant equipment.
– Reduce the energy consumption of office equipment by general housekeeping: turning off IT equipment prior departure from the office, turning off lights, ensuring ventilation windows are kept closed to avoid excessive heating expenditure.
• Work with our supply chain to make use of the best methods of recycling or re-use wherever appropriate. We will use recycled products, including paper, wherever possible. Where possible we will procure goods and services from members of our supply chain as close to the delivery point as possible.
• Work with any contractors / suppliers we are managing on behalf of a client to encourage the use of the best methods of recycling or re-use wherever appropriate and promote the re use of furniture or purchase of recycled furniture where practical and appropriate.
• To promote the disposal of any waste products both generated by our company and contractors working on projects under our control in ways that show concern for the environment, using only registered carriers to dispose of waste, and to recycle wherever possible.
• Swift response to accidents or incidents that have a potential to threaten the environment on projects involving our personnel.
• To ensure that all staff are fully aware of our Environmental and Sustainability Policy and are committed to implementing and improving it.
• To provide training for all employees, as appropriate, to enable them to carry out their job functions in a manner that shows care for the environment.
• To carry out environmental audits when required.
• To review, report on, and to continually strive to improve our sustainability performance.
• To encourage the contractors, suppliers and manufacturers involved in our projects in the specification, use and development of products, processes, and equipment with concern for the future of the environment.
• To promote environmental and sustainability principles by sharing experience with regulatory bodies, other companies, employees, and members of the public.
• To communicate freely on environmental and sustainability matters with government officials, employees, customers, and members of the public.
• Undertake voluntary work with the local community and / or environmental organisations and make donations to seek to offset carbon emissions from our activities.
• In implementing this Policy Statement, the Company will focus on action to conserve resources and energy, to minimise emissions into air or water and onto land and to increase recycling rates.
• The Company will also seek to influence legislative developments and improve public understanding of environmental and sustainability matters concerning the business.
This environmental and sustainability policy applies to all our operations including management, office services, site operations, and procurement.
The Managing Director is responsible for reviewing, endorsing, and achieving the aims of this policy, and to appoint an investigating officer to investigate any reports of breaches of this Policy.
Managers are responsible for administering, distributing, implementing, and delivering compliance to this policy on the managing director’s behalf, and reporting incidents they deem to be in breach of this policy, and to act in accordance with this policy.
Employees are responsible for adhering to this policy, reporting any potential activity in breach of this policy to their line manager, or the managing director.
Progress against these objectives will be monitored through a number of mediums including:
• annual management review of this environmental and sustainability policy and any associated environmental/sustainability procedures.
• the monitoring of environmental and sustainability objectives and associated KPI’s /targets.
• monthly management meetings.
This policy statement will be regularly reviewed and updated as necessary. The management team endorses these policy statements and is fully committed to their implementation.
This Policy Statement has been approved & authorised by:
Name: Colin Stuart
Position: Chief Executive Officer
Date: 7th February 2023
"*" indicates required fields